HTTPS benefits for website security
What is HTTPS and its benefits for website security?
HTTP stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol. These are the rules used to transfer information on a web page from a server to a web browser. Any time an Internet user navigates to a URL, their browser essentially opens up a line of communication with the site’s server. The browser downloads the information required to render that specific web page. In the following paragraphs, we will discuss more HTTPS and its benefits for website security.
With HTTP, this communication happens with plain text, meaning any third party can access the communication between the server and browser. If this happens, personal and sensitive information can be stolen.
In order to make the communication private, websites use HTTPS. So HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure.
Benefits of using HTTPS?
With HTTPS, the same conversation takes place between a server and web browser, except the information is encrypted. The encryption prevents third parties from stealing data.
HTTPS uses TLS (transport layer security) or SSL (secure sockets layer) for encryption. These unique encryption keys are transmitted between the web browser and server to keep the communication safe.
So without these certificates and keys, a third party could pretend to be the web browser to hack the server or pretend to be the server to hack the web browser.
Here are the top benefits of adding HTTPS to your website.
- Websites using HTTPS are more trustworthy for users.
- It is more secure for both users and website owners. A secure connection gives your customers peace of mind that your website can be trusted. As a result, their information is secure.
- It authenticates websites.
- Google confirmed that they favor HTTPS websites to improve the ranking in terms of SEO.
- Apart from security, HTTPS also enables your website to improve its page speed when you use protocols like TLS 1.3 and HTTP/2, Google considers page speed as a lightweight ranking factor similar to HTTPS:
HTTPS improves SEO rankings, adds security to your website, and builds trust with your website visitors. Switching your site to HTTPS will also improve leads and boost conversions.